Sunday, January 9, 2011

Children's Day

Children's day is celebrated around the world on various days of the year and this of course is a good thing. The only question is: Are we doing enough for the children who are not so lucky and growing up in dysfunctional families or no families at all and who suffer abuse at the hands of adults? Just the other day I heard a child crying in a public toilet. Instead of being comforted, the little one was given a loud slap. I do not know whether the man coming out later with the boy was his father or somebody else.
I have met a man who said he had been beaten as a child by his father. And I have known two women who told me that they had been brutally raped early in their lives.
With all these abuses taking place of children, is it any wonder that some one million people commit suicide around the world every year! For make no mistake, the main cause for self-destruction can be found in emotional scars from the past.
How should we protect our children? I do not know the answer to this. I just urge everybody reading this to do their best.


1 comment: