Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dr. Zakir Naik. popular with less educated Muslims.

This man, I understand, belongs to a sect of Islam that resembles the one in Saudi Arabia, and he is hated by a lot of educated Muslims. Some of my relatives have fallen prey to him and, aware that I have given up Islam and am now an agnostic, they constantly bombard me with the writings of this idiot. It irks me a lot, especially because one of these relatives, the head of that household, is a Muslim only in name, his obnoxious behaviour having alienated him from a large section of the Memon community in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Dr Naik, 43, a medical doctor from Mumbai and president of the Islamic Research Foundation, came into the limelight only recently when, at the urging of some clerics, the Uttar Pradesh government of India barred him from addressing meetings in Allahabad, Kanpur and Lucknow.

"I do not consider him a Muslim," said Maulana Hashim Kachauchwi, a Sunni scholar in Lucknow, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment